Friday, June 9, 2017

The Twentieth Century Blog

The year of  1964 was the year when the Civil Rights Act was passed, John F. Kennedy believed that African Americans have the same advantages like White people do. Over five years later on Martin  L. King Day, discrimination had ended more successfully then economic, educational or social equality. The Civil Rights Act did help African Americans with legal equality but in economically wise it unfortunately did not. Black people made huge strides in high school education, but tend to have less in college graduates rates. Their income has risen and with that poverty rates has decreased, along with high unemployment rates. It became certain that African Americans have a disadvantage economically. But, over the years the black middle class has increased, helped by then government employment, millions of African Americans found jobs at federal, state and local level. Black poverty rates have also dropped by a massive amount, with it before being more than 40% in the 1960's to about 27% today. The impact of the Civil Rights Act had succeeded of having to enable African  Americans to have legal equality and gave them an opportunity to have rights.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Progressive Blog

During the Progressive Era, race was set in place for African American women. Their organization focus mainly more on fighting against racism and provide mutual support then having to focus on rights for education, health care, political corruption, and etc. Hundred and thousands of African American women migrated from the South to the North. They faced sexism, institutional racism, and overtly violent acts of racism, such as lynching. Despite their large number of organization and successful reform efforts they still get excluded from white women General Federation of Women's Club and the National American Woman Suffrage Association. White women also ignored issues of racism, such as lynching or the rights of African American voters. But, all was not loss for them, the YWCA allowed some collaborations between African American and white women. And so did the Women's Missionary Council of the Southern Methodist Church, and the Woman's Committee of the Commission on Interracial Cooperation (CIC)

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Nation Divided Blog

During the Reconstruction Period, the American Dream took a toll on the South. School institutions were brought in place in the South and were built. With no more slavery in the South, African Americans took this as an opportunity to create schools for themselves to learn. Not only children were learning, but also adults and the elderly attended to these schools With education being set in place in the South, they brought teachers from the North to teach those in the South. The Freedmen's Bureau helped established these schools, Marshall Twichwell, created total of ten schools in Red River Parish. He created five schools for whites and five for African Americans. Overall having to established education in South embraced African Americans to vote, work, and going to school.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

The Founding

The American Dream played a huge role during the Founding, it begin when Britain started the Stamp Act, for America it was troublesome. Britain played a role with giving the Americans huge taxation such as, tea, clothes, stamps, etc. America was tired of the whole taxing by Britain, because it ruined them economically. This started the American Revolution, Britain wasn't so pleased of course and immediately took action to this. This relates to the american dream by having the colonies not having their american dream of their own until they got their freedom by throwing the american revolution. Also it relates to the American Dream by Britain taxing the Americans economically leaving the Americans with no choice but to create a revolution.


Saturday, September 10, 2016

First Blog

This is my very first blog and my US teacher want me to explain the relevance of modern America, so I want to talk about the American Dream. The reason why I have chosen this theme is because its overall an interesting subject to talk about and shows that each citizen has a equal opportunity to achieve their goals. Like James Truslow quoted in 1931, " life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement." Its relevance to this day is that the American Dream is not dead as may think, in 2011 a poll has been made question whether the American  Dream is dead or not, 59% of Americans  do not think the American Dream is dead as the other 41% thinks so. Also most Americans thinks that credit determination and hard work is the most important factor in financial well being in the report's recent history. So, the American Dream isn't dead to most Americans to this day.